Lotus foods offer a range of great tasting products all of which are made from rice. As a lover of rice I couldn’t wait to try some of the products that Lotus foods have on offer.
I obviously could not try all of their products, although I would have loved to, so I decided to try a couple of the convenient ramen and microwave rice products that Lotus foods have on offer. I could not recommend them more highly.
The first product I tried was the ‘Forbidden Rice Ramen with Miso Soup’. I took the ramen with me to a recent race that I competed in. As the ramen is so easy to make, and ready in only 4 minuets, I thought it would be an ideal post race meal.
I ate the whole ramen packet despite it suggesting that it would be enough for two, but after a hard race I was hungry so easily ate it all. I also added two boiled eggs, and a handful of veg to the noodles to make them into a full meal. I really enjoyed the noodles, despite the noodles being black, which put off a couple of my friends. The noodle meal kept me full for a good few hours, which is usually unheard of!
I also tried a couple of the other ramen products. I added a range of things to them. I particularity enjoyed the noodles with chicken, peas and baby sweetcorn. I would suggest experimenting with a range of protein and vege’s. I am sure nuts and seeds would also be great as they would add an extra crunch.
An additional, and really great product that Lotus foods has on offer is their ‘Heat and Eat’ rice bowls. These single serving rice products are an easy way of making a healthy meal in no time. The rice bowls are really healthy, gluten free and full of vitamins. As the rice used was precooked they allowed me to make delicious meals really fast. Which for me is great when I come in from training and am hungry and tired. I tried a couple of their rice varieties, and like with the ramen, I enjoyed experimenting by adding some protein and vege’s to the rice.
In addition to experimenting with my own recipes for the ramen and rice bowls, I also tried a couple of the recipes that Lotus Foods posted on their website. One of my favorites was the Asian Tuna And Jade Pearl Rice Ramen Salad. The recipe which serves 2 is below.
- 1 can Tuna packed in Olive Oil
- 3 Green Onions, diced
- 4-5 small Sheets of Seaweed Snacks, cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp Tamari, or Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Jade Pearl Rice Ramen Salad
- 2 Jade Pearl Ramen Cakes
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Daikon Radish
- 3 Green Onions
- 1Tbsp sesame oil
- 1tsp Tamari or Soy Sauce
- Green Onions
- Hard Boiled Egg, quartered
- Shirracha (optional)
Preparation:To make the Asian Tuna Salad:
- In a medium bowl add tuna along with the olive oil, mix in green onions, seaweed, tamari, lemon juice and garlic gomasio. Gently mix together and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil, add the 2 Jade Pearl Ramen Cakes and cook for 4 minutes, until tender.
- Strain, rinse with water and set aside.
- Peel the carrot with a vegetable peeler, after the first layer is removed and tossed into the compose, keep peeling the carrot into long strips. Do the same with the daikon radish. Cut the root end off the green onions and remove the first layer.
- Slice the green onions in half lengthwise, then into 2 inch strips.
- Toss carrots, daikon and green onions with the Jade Pearl Rice Ramen, gently mix together with your fingers. Add in sesame oil and tamari, toss a few more times.
- To plate: place Jade Pearl Rice Ramen onto plate, place Asian Tuna Salad on top, garnish with green onions, hard boiled egg and shirracha.
Let us know if you come up with any other recipes that include Lotus Foods products.