You name it, I’ve added peanut butter to it. A day doesn’t pass without me getting my PB fix. I enjoy it with oats in the morning, smothered on a banana as a snack, dolloped onto a sweet potato at lunch and swirled into my protein shake after a session.
I have even been known to spoon it out of the jar. But maybe its not the worst addiction to have – peanut butter, like many of the other nut butters has numerous health benefits :
- –> Healthy Fat
- –> High Protein
- –> Energy Booster
- –> Rich in Fiber
- –> Aids Weight loss
- –> Packed with nutrients
And its super super yummy and goes with ANYTHING! Honestly, just try it. I recommend adding it to your next stir fry for a delicious, nutty sauce, or why not put it in your sushi or rice rolls next time you make them. Peanut butter is not just for toast.
Here is a recipe for you to try:
Banana and Peanut Butter ‘Ice Cream’
- 3 large, ripe bananas
- 3 tbsp natural peanut butter
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of cinnamon
- Tiny pinch of sea salt- if desired
- Additional toppings e.g. chopped and roasted peanuts, berries or melted dark chocolate
- Cut the bananas into small chunks and freeze until solid, at least 1-2 hours.
- Transfer the bananas to a very strong blender and blend until smooth and creamy (This will take a few minutes and may require periodic pauses and adjustments)
- Within a few minutes, you should be seeing a thick, creamy ice-creamy mixture in the blender.
- Add the peanut butter, vanilla extract, cinnamon, sea salt, and anything else you might like in there (I sometimes like adding a couple of fresh or frozen strawberries- a bit like PB and J).
- Pulse the blender quickly to stir the ingredients all together and when everything is mixed, serve immediately.
- Top with additional peanut butter and other toppings of your choice!
** But not all PBs are the same! Try and buy natural 100% peanut butter. Do not be tempted by the big brand name nut butters which often add loads of salt, oil and other unwanted ingredients to an otherwise very healthy spread. ‘Smuckers’ is one brand that offers all natural peanut butters, but there are lots out there. One of my favorites, which is available in most health food shops is Meridian, and you can buy it in 1kg tubs- perfect for other nut butter addicts like me!
**** Also, remember that peanut butter is not a low fat, or low calorie food, so do not eat it by the jarful, but do enjoy it.
Other nut butters are also available, although they are a little more expensive, they are great tasting and can add variety to your meals and snacks, so why not pick up some almond or cashew nut butter next time you head to do your weekly shop? Justin’s is one brand that offers all natural almond butter- so why not give it a go- they come in a variety of flavors too!