If you fancy a heart warming and seriously healthy curry this summer, then look no further. This delicious curry is easy to make and really tasty! The curry is the ideal meal option if you have vegetarians, or vegans coming for dinner. However, it is also sure to go down really well with carnivores too! If you would like to add meat or fish to the curry then by all means go ahead! It would would well with diced chicken or lamb, or fresh prawns.
- 2 aubergines, cut into wedges
- 2 red peppers, wedged
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp black mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red chili, chopped
- 4 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 6 fresh tomatoes, quartered
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Heat ½ tbsp oil in a large pan, and brown the aubergines for 2-3 mins until soft, golden brown and crispy.
- Scoop out and put onto a plate and a piece of kitchen paper to drain off any excess liquid.
- Heat another ½ tbsp oil in the pan, and cook the peppers. Once soft, scoop out and put aside with the aubergine.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and heat. Add the mustard seeds and curry leaves and fry for about 30 seconds until you can smell the yummy fragrances.
- Stir in the onions and cook until soft and golden.
- Add the chillies and the rest of the spices and stir.
- Then, add a dollop of the thick coconut milk from the top of the can and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the rest of the can of coconut milk, the tomatoes and add another half a can of water.
- Simmer the mix for about 25 mins until thick, saucy and delicious!
- Once ready, stir in the chickpeas and add the aubergines and peppers back into the pan.
- Simmer the curry for another 5 mins until everything is hot.
- Serve the curry with rice, a warm naan bread and some fresh avocado.
- Finish the dish with a sprinkling of coriander (if you like), and enjoy!