Momentum Nutrition’s CATALYST pre-workout supplement has been scientifically produced in order to help promote endurance, recovery, energy, and muscle growth, whilst reducing soreness. And it tastes great!
Like all of Momentum Nutrition’s products, CATALYST has been researched backed as MN don’t believe in pseudo-scientific ingredients that may or may not do what they’re supposed to. According to MN, the ingredients in CATALYST have actually been proven to work.
Additionally, because MN believe that it is not enough just to include the right ingredients, their CATALYST pre-workout has been produced so that each serving provides true clinical doses of all the key ingredients needed for the beneficial effects. No need to double dose, or take on board huge quantities of supplements.
Another great aspect of MN is that they are 100% transparent and honest. They promise that we will never see a proprietary blend on any Momentum Nutrition product. They also promise to never deceive customers by not listing the precise doses of each individual ingredient. I think that this is really important, especially when supplements can become dangerous if they are not taken as they should be.
I tried the Peach Mango and Blueberry Lemonade flavours and both tasted great! Not too sweet, and not too strong- which meant that I was able to train and race without a horrible taste or cloying lingering sweetness. A real revelation for me in terms of pre-workouts!
I loved how CATALYST contained no artificial dyes, sugar, or “filler” ingredients because it meant that I could concentrate on my performance and not on thinking about what horrible ingredients i had just consumed!
Read on to find out more about the ingredients….
MN’s CATALYST pre-workout combines some of the best ingredients for optimal results.
- A non-essential amino acid that is needed in order for the body to make Carnosine which can delay fatigue in the working muscle by reducing the build-up of lactic acid. The result: greater muscular endurance.
- Research suggests that Beta-Alanine can increase Carnosine levels by 20-80% at daily doses ranging from 2-6g.
- CATALYST provides 3.2g, and this amount of daily Beta-Alanine supplementation can increase muscular Carnosine levels by roughly 44% over 4 weeks.
- Betaine is the amino acid Glycine with three methyl groups attached.
- Over time, betaine supplementation has been shown to increase power output and/or muscular endurance at doses of 2.5g daily.
- CATALYST contains 2.5g- most competitor pre-workout mixes only contain 1.25g.
- Agmatine can stimulate the release of β-endorphin which increases glucose uptake in muscle tissue, and is capable of improving performance (more glucose in muscle tissue) as well as supporting a lean body composition (less glucose in fat cells).
- CATALYST provides 1000mg of Agmatine Sulfate per serving, about double what you’ll find in most pre-workouts.
- Alpha GPC is the most bioavailable source of Choline and can help increase power output by increasing the neurotransmitter Acetylcholine which is directly involved muscle contraction.
- Alpha-GPC is quite expensive by weight so most other pre-workouts often skimps on this ingredient.
- Caffeine increases alertness, focus, and perceived energy in the average individual, and increases Noradrenaline which is responsible for concentration.
- Caffeine’s effects vary between individuals, but the 250mg dose present in each serving of CATALYST is enough for the average individual to feel noticeably more alert and focused.
- Theanine is an amino acid that found almost exclusively in Green Tea.
- Theanine reduces the negative side effects of Caffeine, and can even enhance the cognitive benefits.
- CATALYST contains 100mg of Theanine per serving, roughly twice as much as what is in most other pre-workouts.
- Hordenine is a naturally occurring alkaloid found in a variety of plants such as Barley.
- Hordenine acts as a Monoamin Oxidase Inhibitor (MAOI), meaning it blocks the enzyme (Monoamine Oxidase) responsible for the breakdown of Noradrenaline so it can amplify and/or extend the effects of Caffeine.