A protein powder that has other nutritious ingredients in it is a pretty cool thing! Vega Protein and Greens is just that. Each scoop of the powder has 21g of high quality plant based protein and has 2 servings of greens like broccoli and kale! But the powder still tastes amazing! In fact, I personally prefer the Vega powder to many of the other whey based vanilla powders which are usually very sweet and taste artificial.
Vega powders are also raw which means that the enzymes and nutrients they contain are in their most nutritious state. Pretty awesome! It also means that Vega is suitable for those wanting to eat a raw diet.
Although heating the Vega powder can denature the enzymes, and stop the powder from being raw, we have used the powder to make some delicious foods like pancakes and mug cakes without affecting its flavour.
My favourite recipes using the Vega protein and greens vanilla powder have been:
- Overnight vanilla and banana oats – simply combine 1/2 banana mashed, 1/2 cup of oats, 1/2 cup non dairy milk, and a scoop of Vega protein powder, then leave overnight and top with your favourite fruits, nuts and seeds. I love topping with ripped up dates, coconut yogurt and some wheat nuggets.
- Very green breakfast smoothie bowl- blend 1tbsp chia seeds with 1/2 cup greens, and 1/2 cup non dairy milk, then add in a frozen banana, lots of berries and a scoop of Vega vanilla protein powder. Pour into a bowl and top with crunchy granola, seeds and any of your other fab toppings!
I also wanted to try out some different ways of of enjoying Vega’s protein powder. Here is an awesome recipe to try for soft, delicious and super healthy cookies using the vanilla protein, although I am sure you could use other flavors of Vega protein and get equally tasty cookies! So, these cookies are gluten free, dairy free and packed full of plant power! This recipe was inspired by Kneadtocook- take a look at her blog: www.kneadtocook.com.
- 2 eggs or 2 flax eggs
- 1 and 3/4 cups of rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of sweetener of your choice- e.g. coconut sugar
- 1 scoop of Vega vanilla protein powder (you may want to start with 1/2 scoop and adjust to your taste)
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- 1tsp of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees/ 180 Celsius
- Grease and line a baking tray
- Blend the oats into a flour
- If using, make your flax egg, and allow to thicken
- Combine the flour, egg, protein, oil and vanilla extract
- Gently mix in the chocolate chips
- Scoop the mixture onto your prepared baking tray (will make around 15 cookies)
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown on the bottom and crispy on top
(Photo credit to Knead to cook)
*Although we were given the Vega protein powder free to review, all of the opinions here are our own.