Homemade burgers not only taste 100x better than fast food chain alternatives, they are also so much better for you and you can make them just how you like! These burgers are so easy to make, delicious, juicy, flavorful, and high in fiber- what’s not to love?
For 6 large burgers or 12 mini ones:
- 1 pound fresh greens e.g. spinach/ chard/ turnip greens
- 1 pound ground meat e.g. chicken/ turkey/ beef/ lamb
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch cayenne
- 1 egg
- 2 cups cooked grains e.g. steel-cut oats/ whole-wheat couscous/ bulglar wheat
- 1-2 small sweet/ white potatoes cut into 1cm rounds
- Preheat oven to 400F/ 200C and put oil on a baking tray
- Put potato slices on tray and bake- about 30 minutes (keep a eye on them and turn over once or twice)
- Meanwhile, steam or boil greens for 30 seconds. Drain and plunge into ice water.
- Drain again, squeezing to dry, then roughly chop.
- Put greens into a large bowl.
- Add in the ground meat, onion, garlic, cumin, and cayenne.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper if you like.
- Add egg and grains.
- Mix with your hands until well combined.
- Shape into burgers.
- Grill on medium heat for about four minutes per side. Or, bake in the oven on the potato tray (400F/ 200C) until firm and browned (about 20 minutes)
- Put burger (or burgers if you have made small ones!) then add your favorite toppings- we loved them with guacamole and salad!