These are not normal, run of the mill granola bars. They are better! They are vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, oil-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free and 100% delicious.
These soft bars are full of wholesome and nutritious ingredients like chia, sunflower, and pumpkin seeds which keep you going because they pack a hefty amount of protein, fibre, and omega fatty acids. These bars are naturally sweetened with date paste instead of sugar- so no nasty energy slumps to worry about because of these bars.
These bars are ideal as a mid morning snack, with breakfast, or as fuel before training. These are great for those with nut allergies, you’ll be happy to know these are totally nut-free! These bars are not crunchy like a traditional granola bar, but instead they are very soft and chewy, a little like an ultra dense, sweet, doughy bread.
I love these bars sandwiched with some almond butter, but they are equally great plain.
Makes about 10 bars
- 3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats, ground into a flour
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup packed pitted Medjool dates (Soak for 30 minutes if they are a bit firm or your blender has a hard time blending dates smooth)
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped (or other dried fruit of choice)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Preheat oven to medium heat 160C (325F) and line a 9-inch square pan with parchment/ baking paper.
- Add rolled oats into a high-speed blender and blitz until a fine flour forms. Put this oat flour into a large bowl.
- Add water and pitted dates into blender. Blend the dates and water until super smooth.
- Put all ingredients in the bowl and stir well until combined.
- Scoop the mixture into the baking dish and spread it out with a spatula to make it as flat and even as possible.
- Bake at 160C (325F) for about 20-25 minutes, or until firm to the touch. (It only took 15 minutes for mine to become firm- so keep an eye on your bars!)
- Let the bars cool in the baking dish for 5 minutes and then lift it out and transfer it to a cooling rack for another 5-10 minutes.
- Slice and enjoy!
Freeze any leftovers to ensure the bars are super fresh for you to enjoy.