Spirulina is a natural, cyanobacteria that boasts a range of health promoting properties.
Spirulina comes in powder form which has an acquired taste, but when incorporated into recipes it is easily taken. Or it can be taken in the form of a capsule. However you take it, I would recommend incorporating spirulina regularly into your diet due to its range of health benefits.
Some of the Health Benefits:
- It contains Omega 3-,6 and 9s and is especially high in Omega-3s.
- Composed of 65% protein including gamma linolenic acid (GLA) which has anti-inflammatory properties. GLA is difficult to find in a food source and normally has to be created by the body.
- High in Chlorophyll – helps remove toxins from the blood and boost the immune system.
- High concentration of bio-available iron (easy for the body to absorb and use)- great for athletes, pregnant women and those with anemia. It will not cause constipation.
- Contains loads of vitamins and minerals including: B-1, B-2, B-3, B-6, B-9, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin A and vitamin E, potassium, chromium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, sodium and zinc.
- High in calcium- over 26 times the calcium in milk
- There is some research to suggest that it can increase fat burning during exercise.
Ideas for how to incorporate spirulina:
1. A great and easy way to take spirulina is by adding a scoop to your smoothie in the morning, or to your post workout shake. Although it may turn your drink green you will barely notice the change in flavor, but your body will thank you for the added nutrients!
2. Mix 1 tbsp spirulina powder with sesame seeds and 3 tbsp soy sauce and use this mixture as a tasty dressing for rice or noodles.
3. Add spirulina powder to homemade bars:
Power Bars with Spirulina
- 2 cups oats (old fashioned)
- 1 cup flour (of any type)
- 1 tbsp spirulina
- 1 organic apple, diced (or applesauce)
- 1 banana, diced
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups almond or soy milk
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line 8×8 pan with parchment paper or lightly grease.
- Mix together all dry ingredients then separately mix together all wet ingredients.
- Pour wet ingredient mix into dry ingredients and combine well.
- Pour into lined pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Cut into squares and serve.